<p>Every now and then we get so busy, we need a blog post to help us all reconnect on the important things in life - like what we think is funny, or what app we are using to improve our quality of life, or what we are listening to behind the walls of our headphone...</p>
Every now and then we get so busy, we need a blog post to help us all reconnect on the important things in life - like what we think is funny, or what app we are using to improve our quality of life, or what we are listening to behind the walls of our headphone workstations. Take a look at ours, and feel free to share some of your current obsessions as well, we are always curious!
- Crotchless Martini from Vino Rosino http://vinorosina.com/ - If you love dirty martini's you have to try this- 6 types of imported olives, pepperoncini, smoked ham hocks & bacon
- Lupe Fiasco's new album "Lasers" http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lasers/id418674062
- Nikon D7000 DSLR. It's been out for a little bit now, but still on my wish list! http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25468/D7000.html
- Shameless - Awesome show! www.sho.com/site/shameless
- Call of Duty Black Ops - http://www.callofduty.com/blackops
- If you're trying to get beat hit me up on xbox 'yianni5k'
- Most recent movie I saw:
- Cedar Rapids with Ed Helms of The Office and John C. Reilly
- Mildred Pierce (HBO miniseries with Kate Winslet)
- Music I'm Addicted to:
- A Day to Remember - "What Separates Me From You" (which I have listened to over and over since I bought it)
- Bayside - "Killing Time"
- Apps I'm Addicted to:
- Words With Friends
- Tiny Wings
- Restaurants I Want to Try:
- Alchemy in Hampden
- The Corner in Hampden (new BYOB place)
- Chameleon Cafe in Hamilton
- Favorite Beers:
- Troegs Hop Back
- Heavy Seas Great Pumpkin
- Heavy Seas Aaarsh
- Last Awesome Things I've Eaten:
- Salt - Bacon & Eggs: Black pepper and maple glazed pork belly confit, poached duck egg, soldiers
- Salt - Amish Chicken Breast: Apple and Vermont cheddar polenta, roasted root vegetables, pan gravy
- The Point - Grilled Cheese and Heirloom Tomato: Fresh basil, spinach pesto, balsamic reduction
- Woodberry Kitchen - Braised Beef Shank with Polenta
- I Know I'm Going to Go Back to:
- Johnny Rads
- I will probably end up re-reading one of my Sarah Vowell or Kurt Vonnegut books on my honeymoon.
- Favorite Book of All Time:
- Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
- Favorite place to get rowdy - Salt
- Favorite new work pet - Mousey
- Favorite book this year - Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- Favorite place to eat - Grano and Samos, both are BYOW (wine)
- Favorite new album - Justin Bieber / My World 2.0, although it is heartfelt, it is also intertwined with a bit of irony
My 'Right Now' is perhaps the nerdiest I have ever been.
- TV: I am re-watching two wildly different old TV series right now, My So Called Life and Farscape. I recently watched the first season of a newer series called Downton Abbey, it was fantastic and I can't wait for season 2. Justified season 2 is also very good, hillbilly pot dealers and Mountain Top coal mining... awesome.
- Books: I'm reading two kids books right now, the original Winnie the Pooh and a Wrinkle in Time. My next adult reading will be to catch up on The Fall, when it's released in paperback.
- Movies: I'm really interested in finishing Howards End it's really good so far but it should probably be called Howards Ambien. My third attempt will be this weekend.
- Music: R.E.M. the best of the IRS Years 82-87, Peter Gabriel's So, Yo La Tengo Painful, and Okkervil River The Stage Names
Apps & Games: I've been doing the NYTimes crossword every day with their iPad app. I eagerly await purchasing Portal 2 in 4 days when it's available. Starcraft 2 is still my go to tune-out-life for 20 minutes game.
- Beer: Anything from Still Water Ales, or The Bruery
- Restaurants: nothing new, but I am discovering which restaurants I enjoy eating at that are truly 'kid friendly'. So far Golden West, Rocket to Venus (surprisingly enough) and Clementine are the only zero-baby-guilt places I've found. I think the key is a generally high level of background noise.
- Misc: I am cooking a lot lately, and have been experimenting with only using cast iron. During my baby imposed hiatus from rock climbing I have taken up an interest in barefoot running.
- Baby: An absurd amount of time has been going towards teaching my son to do cool stuff like talk gibberish, grab things and sit up.
I am currently enjoying:
- Restaurants: Checkers, Chipotle, and Burger King.
- TV: I plan to watch Jericho again starting tonight.
- Shoes with wooden soles
- Striped shirts
- The color gray
- Apps - Tripit, Groupon, Instagram, The Daily!
- Albums - Uh Huh her EP Black and Blue
- Local Places - I love the new Bo Brooks Liquor Store
- I still love my iphone!!!
- Books: I'm in the middle of A Thousand Splendid Suns, by the author of The Kite Runner. It's really good, but violent, so it's been a bit hard to get through.
- Music: Excited about the new Fleet Foxes album, coming out next month. When warm weather hits I like to get the classic rock going -- Neil Young, Allman Bros, Led Zeppelin.
- My favorite bar these days is Windup Space on North Ave. The space is beautiful, and the owner, Russell, is great. I've been drinking Session Black there recently, which is yummy!
- I'm also sharing a community garden plot with two others. A few weeks ago we planted a bunch of stuff -- kale, red cabbage, beets, and more.
- There's one little strawberry plant that I have high hopes for :)
- I'm on the board of D Center, and am also working on a design competition called the Open City Competition that is a collaboration between D Center, MICA, Urbanite, the MTA, and the Dept. of Transportation. (urbaniteproject.com)
- And I'm hoping to start biking to work next week!
- floral dresses with thick leather belts
- sandals with thick ankle straps
- words with friends!
- piano man (teaches you piano, guitar hero style)
- etsy addict
- Anything by the Knife (especially "Heartbeats")
- Local Places
- Idle Hour - "Pickle Back" shot (a shot of whiskey chased by a shot of pickle juice). So good!
- Bistro Rx - on the other side of patterson park, great atmosphere even better food!
- One Eyed Mikes - off the beaten path in fells, definitely one of my favorites
- Music: Chiddy Bang, The Octopus Project, Girl Talk, the Mick Boogie mixtapes, the Doobie Brothers version of "Jesus Is Just Alright" (not for religious reasons, that song just gets me pumped - blast it in your car and just try not to sing along)
- TV: Parks and Rec, Archer, Party Down (suggested by Curt), and Pawn Stars (our guilty pleasure)
- Beer: Gnomegang Collaboration, anything by Southern Tier Brewing, Rolling Rock (recently rediscovered)
- Apps: Beka is addicted to Words With Friends
- Restaurants: Our favorite out here in the country has to be El Salto
- Misc: My Hackintosh and Yoyoing (I just ordered a special edition Genesis from Yoyo Factory, it's gonna be siiiick!)
- Books: Just finished reading The Passage and LOVED it, but it did give me nightmares.
- Music: The Black Angels, Broken Bells, Arcade Fire, Neko Case, New Order, Ryan Adams, The Pixies (they are on tour!), The Boxer Rebellion, Sun Kil Moon / Mark Kozelek, Uh Huh Her, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Lykke Li, Heartless Bastards, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch.
- TV: Walking Dead, The Good Wife, Friday Night Lights, The Killing (AMAZING!), Survivor, Chelsea Lately, Real Housewives of NYC (I know - but it's my guilty pleasure now that Jersey Shore is unavailable).
- Movies: Waiting for Superman, Black Swan, I Like Killing Flies, Animal Kingdom, Catfish, Moon, Jennifer's Body, Zombieland
- Apps / Games: Words with Friends and Flipbook on my iPad, Tiny Wings on my iPhone, Black Ops on the Xbox
- Random: Anything to do with zombies, viral outbreaks or life after the apocalypse.
- Free Time: Stella the bulldog, and Rufus the lab/pit mix. And wondering what Bonanza (previously named Mousey) is up to in his mega home.